Arild Andersen – Short bio
- Born in Norway October 27 -1945. He has been one of Europe’s leading bass player since the early 70-ties. Andersen started out as a member of Jan Garbarek Quartet (67-73). The group also included Terje Rypdal and Jon Christensen. In the same period he played in the local rhythm section in Oslo for visiting American musicians. He worked and recorded with Don Cherry, George Russell and Sam Rivers during this years.
- He recorded 21 albums in his own name for ECM. Bill Frisell, Ralph Towner, Nana Vasconcelos, Paul Motian, Alphonze Mouzon, Kenny Wheeler, John Taylor are among the great musicians that can be heard on some of these albums.
- 1982-92 his band “Masqualero” included Nils Petter Molvaer and Jon Christensen. In the 90-ties his band included Bendik Hofseth, Bugge Wesseltoft, Eivind Aarset and Nana Vasconcelos.
- He has played and toured with: John Abercrombie, Stan Getz, Pat Metheney, Paul Bley, John Scofield, Sheila Jordan, among others.
- In 2005 he was “Artist in Resident “ at The Molde International Jazzfestival
- In 2007 he released a cd on ECM “Live at Belleville“ with Tommy Smith sax and Paolo Vinaccia drums. This cd has received raving reviews around the world.
- He received “ Jazz Musician of the year 2008 “ from Academie du Jazz in France.
- In 2010 the trio with Smith and Vinacia was reviewed as the highlight of Tokyo International Jazz Festival.
- October 2010 He recorded live an album with Tommy Smiths Jazz Orchestra . As soloist with the orchestra they celebrated the music of ECM and the cd came out 2012 called “Celebration”.
- January 2014 he released “MIRA” on ECM a new cd with his trio with Paolo Vinaccia and Tommy Smith
Articles and reviews in JazzTimes Magazine can be found here
High resolution pictures
Click the pictures to get the big version or download them all in one package (zip) here.